FIRST TEST OF ALTERED CANADIAN ENVIRONMENTAL ASSESSMENT ACT

FIRST TEST OF ALTERED CANADIAN ENVIRONMENTAL ASSESSMENT ACT

Postby adminjt » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:14 pm

Tell the PM to save Fish Lake

FIRST TEST OF ALTERED CANADIAN ENVIRONMENTAL ASSESSMENT ACT NOW STANDS BEFORE FEDERAL CABINET
This summer, Royal Assent was granted to Budget Bill C-9. Within this omnibus bill were significant changes to the Canadian Environmental Assessment Act (CEAA) which severely curtailed the Act's effectiveness. While many groups and individuals expressed alarm at these changes, the government assured Canadians it was committed to CEAA's effectiveness and environmental oversight more generally.
Let's make sure the government stands by its word when it comes to Fish Lake. Send this letter to Prime Minister Harper: http://org2.democracyinaction.org/o/565 ... n_KEY=4072
The B.C. government recently granted Taseko Mines a 25-year mining lease. Taseko now plans to dig an open-pit mine in central B.C. which would drain Fish Lake and turn it into a tailings pond.
The Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency reported that the mine would have significant adverse effects on the environment - including to fish stocks and grizzly populations - and on First Nations rights and title.The case is now before the federal cabinet with a decision expected as early as September 10. If the mine gets federal cabinet approval, it would be the first time the government has ever overruled negative findings from a Canadian Environmental Assessment Act review.
The Prime Minister told Canadians that the government was committed to CEAA and strong environmental oversight. Now is the time for him to prove it. Click here to tell Mr. Harper how important this decision is: http://org2.democracyinaction.org/o/565 ... n_KEY=4072

adminjt
Site Admin

Return to Mining Discussions